Top Intro to Programming Certification Programs
Take your first steps in learning to code with an intro to programming certification. These courses will teach you the basics of coding, from scratch. You’ll learn everything you need to know to start building powerful web and mobile applications and conquering the world of machine learning.
Our Top 10 Picks
1. Introduction to Programming Nanodegree Program (Udacity)
Get an Introduction to Programming Nanodegree from Udacity and start building amazing development skills today. This program is perfect for beginners. You will learn how to code in a variety of programming languages so you understand their difference and know what you like best.
You will learn with hands-on exercises through four projects that demonstrate your grasp of coding fundamentals. With interactive exercises and projects, you will quickly develop your coding abilities, while building confidence in your ability to think and problem-solve like a programmer.
- Intro to Web Development – Get a handle on the basics of web development so you can build amazing websites by yourself. In this course, you’ll learn how to create basic web pages using HyperText Markup Language (HTML) and how to add style to your pages with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
- Intro to Programming with Python I – Start learning Python today and see how easy it is to create amazing things. In this intro to programming course, you’ll learn the basics of Python and use it to create a virtual “turtle” robot to draw colorful shapes on the screen. You’ll learn how to create, run, and manipulate Python code, as well as refactor your code to make it more modular.
- Intro to Programming with Python II – Take the next steps in becoming a Python programmer and learn the fundamental skills. In this course, you will learn how to work with files on your local drive, how to retrieve data using a web API, and how to use Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). By the end of this course, you will be able to understand more advanced Python skills like creating your own classes, objects, and methods.
PREREQUISITES: This program does not have any prerequisites.
2. Professional Certificate in Computer Science for Web Programming (Harvard University)
Take the infamous CS50 online course from Harvard University. This program is designed to help you gain an understanding of introductory programming, which is an invaluable skill in the modern workplace.
INFORMATION: This program consists of 2 skill-building courses and takes 6 months to complete.
3. Professional Certificate in Introduction to Python Programming (Georgia Tech)
Get your hands dirty with the world’s most popular programming language Python. Build a solid foundation with the Professional Certificate in Introduction to Python Programming from Georgia Tech.
During this program, you will learn procedural programming, control structures, and data structures. Finally, you will explore object-oriented programming in Python as well as various search and sorting algorithms.
INFORMATION: This program consists of 4 skill-building courses and takes 5 months to complete.
4. Python Fundamentals Skill Track (DataCamp)
The Python Fundamentals Skill Track is designed for the beginner Python programmer. Regardless of your background, this course will give you the skills you need to get up and running with one of the most popular programming languages.
First, you’ll learn how to use NumPy, Matplotlib, and DataFrames with Python. Secondly, you’ll explore how to write your own functions and various iterators. Finally, you will assess your skills with DataCamp Signal to check how far your skill level has progressed.
INFORMATION: This online program consists of 4 courses with 15 hours of coursework.
5. Introduction to Python (Dataquest)
The Introduction to Python course from Dataquest will teach you the basics of Python programming in a hands-on learning style. This beginner-friendly course contains 4 hours of self-paced coursework for you to complete.
First, it covers the basics of Python language such as data types, variables, and basic operations. Next, it will give you a walk-through for employing lists in Python including indexes and slicing. If you’re just getting started, this course is perfect for understanding programming fundamentals in Python.
INFORMATION: This online program consists of 4 lessons with 4 hours of coursework.
6. Learn R: Introduction (Codecademy)
Gain hands-on R programming experience to help you land your first job. The R Introduction Programming training from Codecademy can provide you with the skills that employers are looking for.
Whether you want to learn comments, data types, variables, vectors, or conditionals, this course covers a lot of ground. Toward the end of the program, you will also learn how to use logical operators, call functions, and import packages in R.
INFORMATION: This online program consists of 10 courses with 20 hours of coursework.
7. C# Development Fundamentals Learning Path (Pluralsight)
The C# Development Fundamentals Learning Path from Pluralsight is designed to teach you the fundamentals of programming in the C# language, which can be used for creating enterprise systems, desktop applications, and more.
This 16-course program contains 38 hours of coursework and is meant to be completely self-paced. You’ll learn interfaces, generics, arrays, exception handling, OOP fundamentals, Language Integrated Query (LINQ), and more.
INFORMATION: This 16-course learning path contains 38 hours of coursework.
8. Professional Certificate in C++ Programming: A Hands-on Introduction (Codio)
The Professional Certificate in C++ Programming is a hands-on introduction to C++ programming and is designed for people with some programming experience, but no formal training.
First, you’ll learn variables, operators, conditionals, and loops. Next, you will familiarize yourself with more intermediate concepts like functions, pointers, and recursion. Finally, you’ll explore object-oriented programming concepts including encapsulation, inheritance, and polymorphism.
INFORMATION: This program contains 3 skill-building courses and takes 4 months to complete.
9. MicroBachelors® Program in Computer Science Fundamentals (NYU)
The MicroBachelors® Program in Computer Science Fundamentals is a program designed for individuals who are interested in learning the fundamentals of computer science. Additionally, this 3-course program is eligible for academic credits.
Whether you want to learn computer networking or operating systems and computer hardware, the MicroBachelors® program provides a comprehensive overview of computer science fundamentals to teach you the skills needed for software development.
INFORMATION: This program contains 6 skill-building courses and is eligible for academic credits.
10. Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Specialization (University of London)
The Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Specialization from the University of London gives you a solid foundation in the fundamentals of mathematics for computer science and an understanding of how computers work.
Throughout the program, you’ll study the principles of computer science, create graphical models, and build mental models of computer systems. This beginner-level specialization takes approximately 4 months to complete and is completely online.
INFORMATION: This beginner-friendly program contains 3 courses and can be completed in 4 months.
Intro to Programming Certification Programs
If you are interested in pursuing a career as a programmer but don’t know where to get started…
This article gives you an overview of the different types of introductory programming certification courses and how they can help you get ahead in your career.
We hope you enjoyed this guide for intro programming certificate programs. We’d love to hear from you if you’ve ever tried one before. Please send us your comments and feedback below.